“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.” 
– Decca Recording Company, rejecting the Beatles, in 1962


“I don’t know anything about music. In my line you don’t have to.” – Elvis Presley

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” – Albert Einstein

“Music is everybody’s possession. It’s only publishers who think that people own it.” – John Lennon

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” – Aldous Huxley

“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.” – Victor Hugo

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” -  Jimi Hendrix

“There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.” – Johann Sebastian Bach

“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” – Berthold Auerbach

“Music is love in search of a word.” – Sidney Lanier

“Music is the art which is most nigh to tears and memory.” – Oscar Wilde

“A jazz musician is a juggler who uses harmonies instead of oranges.” – Benny Green

“Master your instrument. Master the music. And then forget all that bullshit and just play.” – Charlie Parker

“When I first heard Elvis’ voice, I knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody … hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail” – Bob Dylan

“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.”  – Confucius

“If you can walk you can dance. If you can talk you can sing.” – Zimbabwe Proverb

“Where words fail, music speaks.” – Hans Christian Andersen

“Music is the shorthand of emotion.”  – Leo Tolstoy

“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.” – Frank Zappa

“Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung.” – Voltaire

“I stole everything I ever heard, but mostly I stole from the horns.” – Ella Fitzgerald

“Playing ‘Bop’ is like Scrabble with all the vowels missing.” – Duke Ellington

“Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.” – Igor Stravinsky

“MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken.” – Lewis Black

“I may not be a first-rate composer, but I am a first-class second-rate composer.” – Richard Strauss

“He has a woman’s name and wears makeup. How original.” – Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson

“If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.” – Gustav Mahler

“Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn.” – Charlie Parker

“The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven’t got the joke yet.” - Oliver Herford

Post a Comment Blogger

 
Top